Sep 19, 2012

Is this thing on?

I'm back to wondering what makes it a prayer. I've been praying out loud, without a set prayer in mind.



It's been a variation of "If you're there, I'd like to know. If you're the kind of supreme being who
communicates, this is my request that you reveal yourself.  Thanks for listening."

I make myself pray out loud.  Saying it out loud means that I've put the words out there audibly, so even if my mind isn't in the "right place," I've at least technically fulfilled the commitment to pray.  If I pray in my mind, how is that different from any other thought I have?  How would I know if I was directing it anywhere or if I was just thinking it?

I don't believe in telepathy, but that seems like a stupid thing to get hung up on if I'm willing to stipulate the possibility that a supreme being might communicate with a human being.  An omniscient being would recognize the pattern of firing neurons in my brain and be able to interpret it as my thoughts. Still…I'll pray out loud so that I can know that I've at least made the same attempt at contact that I'd make with a human being in the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment